Tuesday, May 8, 2012

They're on the Move....

So let's discuss one of my pet peeves.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I'm a grammar snob.  It drives me nuts when I see people improperly using words.  Let's start with forms of the word "THEY."  You have:

THERE....THEIR....and...THEY'RE

These are so often misused, so take a lesson from me  

We'll start with the first one...THERE...its purpose is to denote a PLACE, as in 'over there,'  or we went 'there' last night....or in another form such as  'is there a problem?'

Secondly, we have THEIR...this should be used to identify PEOPLE and their possessions...'their' house is beautiful.   'That car is theirs.'

Lastly, but by no means least, is THEY'RE...for the love of pete, only use this as a shortened form of THEY ARE.  It's that simple.  

Whew...I hope (and think) I made that easier on you.  Now, you have no excuse to abuse these words in a sentence.   Be warned...I'm OUT there...around that corner...w a t c h i ng :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree. My advice is: don't contract if you don't know what's right or wrong. That way, it's can never be for its or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray, Dawn! Because I, too, am a grammar freak! Yet another reason I find your writing so soothing to the senses! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! I'm a grammar snob too so this was great to see. It's a funny language we speak, many words like the ones above sounding alike and saying different things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help myself! I'm always telling people how to correct their mistakes and hoping they don't take it personally

    ReplyDelete