Monday, May 21, 2012

The Sad Reality......

I've been a tad disheartened by a lot of the books I've read recently and some of the information I've seen online.  I wasn't aware that unless you're JK Rowling or James Patterson, an author won't necessarily be monetarily successful.  I have to resign myself to the cold reality that I won't be able to focus completely on writing.  My husband isn't independently wealthy, where I could just stay home and immerse myself in my stories.   I'm not giving up, but it's quite a sad lesson.



4 comments:

  1. BUT ... you never know where YOUR writing will take you! The names you mention had to have their beginnings, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, you certainly are right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Dawn, that it seems dishearting, but even if a j-o-b takes you away from your passion, don't give up. Continue blogging, even if it can't be daily, let your readers know that you have to drop back to what ever time frame can work for you. Keep putting your writings in a formatted file that you can easily submit to a contest or publishing site, or free reading site. Just take it a day at a time and see where it takes you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, JK didn't know she would be famous; she did it for the love of the writing and the readers loved it. It could have gone the other way. Patterson and Nora Roberts and others we consider famous started out small and gathered a following ... without FB and other social network sites. We actually have an advantage now.

    Keep your chin up and keep writing. You can do this, even if it's not full-time.

    ReplyDelete