Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sigh......

*Sigh*   Now I see why it takes some authors at least a year to write a book.  I've been at this thing for close to half a year already.  The re-writes are murder.  This is one ARDUOUS process.  

The task of making every page perfect, and taking my characters off the page and into the readers' minds is a challenge, even for someone who has the talent for writing.  There are so many new skills I've had to learn.  I'm still learning as I go along.  

At times, it is daunting, but the choice to give up is no longer an option.  It's too ingrained in me now to even entertain the notion.  I can only hope I'll still have fans that want to read my book once it's finally disseminated to the public.

It's very true that it's an unforgiving profession.  One that deals crashing blows and rejections but also immense satisfaction and joy if you prevail.  I've chosen to prevail...so it's BACK to the re-writes and editing for me. :)

12 comments:

  1. Hang in there Dawn, I know you'll get there! It will all be worth it some day, and then the next book probably won't be as taxing since you'll be familiar with the process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina! You're right - my second book, which I've given a taste of here on some posts, is a bit easier, in a way. I know what to do and what NOT to do, so I'm trying my best to do it right the first time. Hopefully, it will prevent the endless re-writes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, you are on the right track and I know you will fly through the 2nd rewrite like nothing! It's okay to sigh a little, but keep those sleeves rolled up and fingers typing! I'm rooting for you and I need to review your book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my friend, I wish it WAS the second re-write! lol I've probably edited this one at least 10 times now. I've lost track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I think the best thing about being a writer in the digital age is our ability to easily commiserate with other authors and realize our experiences - even the not-so-fun ones - all bear commonalities. Writing *is* arduous, and doing it wright *does* seem to take forever. But it's always worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks KM! And thanks for your ESP on your blog and posting such an appropriate subject for me. You're right about being able to meet other writers. I'm so glad I've immersed myself in your world and met fantastic people. And it WILL be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Winston Churchill said,
    Never, never, never give up."

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right Caroline - I've read that quote in one of the MANY books I have on this 'writing thing' we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're doing great Dawn! Be glad your book hasn't taken almost 4 yrs like mine! Don't worry, you'll get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent progress, Dawn. I'm estimating one year for drafting and another year for edits. Do you have your "first readers" picked out? Sometimes having someone else read that first draft who is NOT a writer can give you very useful feedback. Just try not to pick a family member!!!! And I agree re the internet being a wonderful way to connect with other writers. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Beth - I do have ONE person lined up, when the time comes. My alternative was also to send some to other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa, at this point, it might BE four years! lol We shall see

    ReplyDelete