Thursday, June 7, 2012

My FIRST Writing Workshop!

My first writing workshop!  And I don't even have to leave my house!  How amazing is THAT?!  Thanks to our advanced digital age, I can attend via webinar right from my laptop.

I'm very excited about this since I've never attended a writing workshop or conference.  Many are offered around the country, but most of them aren't located close to me.  Plus, who has the money these days to pay for a flight, take off work for 3-4 days, and indulge in their passion and craft?

Thankfully for me, I quite literally linked up (through LinkedIn.com) with a fellow writer (well she's a published author) who runs workshops and smartly caters to those who can't be there in person by providing webinars.  So, next Saturday night, I have a 'date' of sorts, for a  workshop entitled, "Becoming an Author - The Journey to Publication."  It will run for 3 hours, which sounds quite thorough to me.so I'm very excited to participate in this experience!

Another writer, that I also met via LinkedIn (I swear this networking site has worked wonders for me) told me about an annual conference held in NYC every summer.  It was founded by none other than James Patterson, and it's a MUST.  We're both planning to attend this one next summer, and we're both
hoping we'll be attending as 'published writers.'   It's called
Thrillerfest!!  Perfect for a mystery/suspense writer, huh?  You get to meet big-name authors, fellow writers, and even pitch your story to agents for representation!

This world is new to me, and it's opening up more with each passing day.  I feel closer to my lifelong dream than EVER before.


4 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you Dawn. You are definitely on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to see one of the troopers move forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to meeting you "at" the workshop, Dawn! GREAT interview with Miss Honowitz, by the way. She makes many great points and you asked great questions.

    Chat with you on the 16th!

    By the way. Please feel free to let any of your writer friends know about the workshop. The great thing about a webinar, is that is has no seating limit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tamara! I can't wait to 'attend!'

    ReplyDelete