Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book Review....I Think

I suppose this is a book review, though I'm not sure.  Perhaps it's just an observation.  I'm 2/3 of the way through "Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero" by Michael Hingson, and I'm disappointed.  I checked out Amazon's reviews, and I'm not alone in my thinking.  

As interesting as the story is, it's not as advertised.  It follows a blind man and his guide dog, who walked from the 78th floor of the World Trade Center on 9/11, after the tower was hit by an airplane.  Only that isn't really what it's about.  That's how it was portrayed, but the essence of the story is more focused on his blindness and how it never deterred him in life.  While that's a great story, I hoped for more about 9/11 and his dog.  Mostly the dog :)

I'm a dog lover, as some of you may know.  Therefore, I'm a sucker for any kind of dog story!  That's why  I'm feeling a tad so-so about this one, only because they should have described the book better.  If they had, I wouldn't have been picked it.

1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you on this one. I have seen some 9/11 documentaries and this guy has been on a few. His story is amazing and like it could be possible made me love dogs even more, for their unwaivering loyalty. But the title gives the consumer the idea that it is 'Trust at Ground Zero', not about a blind man and his life. I'm sure it is a good story, but I would have been completely dissappointed with the contents too. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete