Monday, July 23, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: "KILLING LINCOLN"


I just finished an amazing book by Bill O'Reilly entitled  "Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever"

As he notes in the introduction, this is a departure from his other books.  He says it reads like a thriller, and it DOES.  Even though we all KNOW the ending, I still found myself hanging on every word when it got to the day of the assassination.

For those interested in history, the civil war, or President Lincoln, it doesn't disappoint.  I never had an interest in history when I was in school, but now it fascinates me.  I admit my ignorance when I say I had no idea how doggedly determined General Lee was, or how the burning of Richmond, VA by it's OWN citizens, may have been the cause of the South's defeat.

Rather than getting mired in too many details, this book focuses on major battles in dramatic fashion.  It's easy to follow and very entertaining.

John Wilkes Booth's massive, intricate plans for not only killing Lincoln, but everyone involved in the North's success at the end of the war, was mind-boggling.  The accomplices he amassed reminded me of the 9/11 hijackers, plotting furiously for attacks to take place all at the same time.

I recall visiting our capitol many years ago as a youngster.  We were at Ford's theater and even the humble home where Lincoln died.  Naturally, I didn't comprehend or appreciate it as I might today.

Out of a possible 5 stars for this book, I give it a wholehearted 5 !!  

In fact, O'Reilly is coming out with a similar book,  "Killing Kennedy"  in October.  Needless to say, I've already reserved my copy!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Dawn! I like O'Reilly and have heard him talk about this book, although I've not read it. Your review makes me more interested to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I can't recommend it enough! I listen to audiobooks, so I had the added benefit of hearing him narrate the book. It was a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our book club read this and I loved the book. Probably wouldn't have read it if it hadn't been a book club selection, but I'm so glad I did. Very well written, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Caroline, it was great! Are you going to read his next book in October? "Killing Kennedy." I'm sure it will be just as thrilling.

    ReplyDelete