Thursday, August 9, 2012

Book Review...Ryan O'Neal's book


I've just finished   "Both of Us: My Life with Farrah"   by Ryan O'Neal.

In the audiobook, he narrated himself.  While not the best narrator, tending to pause at the wrong spots in a sentence, it's still nice to hear his book in his own voice.  You can hear & feel the raw emotion.  He's seemingly very candid, and having read both of his daughter, Tatum's, books, I'm sure the truth of their relationship lies somewhere in the middle.

This leaves me with the certainty that his tumultuous love story with Farrah Fawcett outlasted time and even death  For all his faults, the love and devotion he felt for her never wavered.  It seeps through every sentence, every paragraph.

She was much more than feathery hair and a bright smile.  She had such grace and  wisdom.  Her intelligence and savvy were never fully realized to the public.  I also watched her documentary, during her last years, fighting for her life.  She had the guts to insist on filming her struggle to shine a light on the darkest side of cancer and bring it to the fore.

Ryan's story is one of the joys of eternal love laced with the pain of his loss for the one true and constant loves in his life.

In my rating system, I give it a 5 out of 5.

4 comments:

  1. I Like him for his work, on the big screen. He sucked at, rIsing his kids. I feel sadness for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Like him for his work, on the big screen. He sucked at, rIsing his kids. I feel sadness for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truefully, if you research the whole Farrah/Ryan relationship, you will find that he doesn't always speak the truth in his book and at the end of her life he inserted himself, he wasn't invited. I think the whole book could have been a love story, but he focuses too much on her mood swings. I found it degrading to Farrah Fawcett. Worst part, she is no longer here to defend herself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having listened to both of his daughter's books, and watched his show with her, he does have issues. I still think he loved her. He admitted his faults, but I'm not sure what you mean by inserting himself into her life. They had been back together ever since his leukemia diagnosis, which was before she got cancer.

    ReplyDelete